Sunday, September 18, 2011

The story of us

One night, my sister Shannon was in our bedroom talking on the phone with a guy named Michael.  I was bored so I was doing various Carol Burnett impressions and other things to make my sister laugh. I decided to do this thing Shannon always cracked up at.  Now, before I tell you, let me clarify that I was 15 and a freshman in high school.  Young and immature.  So, I laid back and gulped as much air as I possibly could sat up and let out a long burp.  Shannon was cracking up.  Michael had heard me over the phone.  I was so embarrassed.  Much to my surprise, the next day he asked me out. 
I had actually met Michael once or twice but one time was particularly memorable.  I was out on my first car date.  We had gone to a dance hall.  Michael came talk to the guy I was out with.  As he came up he knocked over a chair in the process. As he was fumbling around to pick it up he said "I'm usually pretty cool but, I'm even cooler now because I'm drunk!".  We all had a good laugh.  Heck we still get a laugh when I bring it up.
Michael came to pick me up for our first date on March 1, 1986.  I had just turned 15 and he was 17. My sister Shannon actually went out with him once after she had broke up with a long time boyfriend. They were just friends so they decided to just keep it that way.
When we agreed to go out I honestly thought it was just for that night.  We were living in Belton at the time. My family would be moving to Copperas Cove at the end of the school year

We went out to eat at a nice Mexican restaurant.  After we ate he took me bowling and then we went to the movies and finally out to the lake.  I had never been out the lake on a date before. He went for a kiss and when he wrapped his arms around me I clamped my arms down making sure he wouldn't make a move. Michael still teases me about doing that. Unfortunately I had to be home by midnight.

Neither of us were morning people but for some reason both of us woke up early the next morning.  He called me and asked me to hang out and of course I said yes. That was the beginning of us.

No comments: