Monday, October 17, 2011

Missing Days Gone By

I read I don't know the number of parenting blogs.  Obviously I don't need to do this  but, I enjoy kids and love to hear the adventures various parents are on with their children. All of the stories are different but underneath they are all the same.  When I hear about a child rolling over for the first time it makes me stop and think of Blake rolling over the first time. When someone else's child walks or talks or whatever for the first time it takes me back to the days of when Blake was that age and doing each of these things for the first time.

I was just telling Michael how much I miss Blake being little.  He was so easy and just a joy for us to be around.  Don't get me wrong.  He had his moments.  I know for sure from 18 months to 24 months I didn't know if either of us were going to make. Oh my word was everything a fight.  Other than that if he misbehaved I knew I wasn't spending the time I need to spend with him.  Blake's love language is quality time. So he loved the one on one attention. Michael and I loved spending time with him so it was win win for all of us.

It is very hard to have your entire world wrapped around one person and then that person grow up.  When Blake went to college I found myself lost  and wondering what to do with all the free time I have on my hands.  Before we never had to worry about what we would be ding from one day to the next.  Blake's sports or school activities dictated it. The next thing you know they are a Sr. and off to college the next year.

I have always said the hardest part about parenting is knowing when to let go and how much to let go.  From the time you are pregnant you start tending to your unborn child.  You eat healthier, exercise, take vitamins anything to make sure you have the healthiest baby you can. When they are born you do everything for them.  They grow a little older and you have to let go and let them try new things.  So on and so forth. If you give them to much freedom it can turn out very bad.  Sometimes I wonder if we should have let go a little more.  To give him the freedom to make even more mistakes.  That is another the hard part never knowing if you are doing the right thing.  In the end you do the best you can and that is all you can do.

Michael and I were laying in bed the other night thinking of a million funny things that Blake did when he was a baby and as he was growing up. We miss the little Blake but, loved watching him grow and accomplish different things.  It is still a joy to watch him accomplish new and exciting things it is just different.  When they are little there are a ton of firsts.  As they get older there are fewer and fewer.  The joy and excitement a child has for new things is so contagious.  It always brought out the best in us.  We wanted to be better people for our son so that he could become the best man he could be.  So far Blake could not have made us prouder.  He is everything a parent dreams of when thinking of having a child.  I know I've said it before but, I will say it again.  If I knew I could have another child be just like Blake I would have one right now.  Just for the joy of watching him grow up all over again.

Do you have kids?  If so do you miss anything they used to do when they were younger? Do you have any advice for a mom with a son in college?  Do you have any advice I can give him to make his college life better?

I hope you had a great weekend and that your Monday is better than expected.

Jackie


No comments: