Friday, October 21, 2011

Klout and other Social Media

Today I was watching a vlogger on Youtube, he mentioned that he got on Klout the other day because a viewer mentioned it to him in the comments. I was curious so I logged on to Klout.com and set up an account to find out what my Klout score was. My Klout score is an embarrassing 13. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be very high. From what I understand your Klout score shows you how much influence you have on people. Under my Klout profile is says that I am an observer. I would agree with this 100%. There are days where I'm supper out going but generally I'm pretty laid back and like to watch things unfold.


I'm on Facebook, Twitter, VYou, Google+ among other things. My problem is I am not one to really engage on the social media sites. I typically get hung up on a game. But as far as actually putting up a status update everyday or a few times a day that just isn't going to happen. I will admit I did update quite a bit when I first got on Facebook but, that is because I saw others updating frequently. I found out from my sons friends that it isn't cool to update your status often. Maybe it made me a little gun shy. Because after that I was scared to death of putting anything up. I will read and comment on Facbook or other social media sites  if I'm stuck in line or waiting for anything really, or on a long ride when someone else is driving,  I will also log on if I cannot fall asleep at night and I don't have a good book to read.


In my opinion people give out too much information. I can honestly say I don't want to know you’re soon to be ex-husband tried to rape your mom and beat her up. Then you take it up a notch and go into detail about what all went on. I feel sorry for you and your family but, I don't need to know these things in graphic detail. Next up you start airing out things about the custody battle. My heart goes out to that poor little girl in the middle of that mess. I'm just thankful she is really young. I'm hoping she is too young to recall any of the craziness that went on. I think things like this are why I like Google+. You can post that kind of thing to people that are close. (Not that I would) Not some girl you barely knew in high school 20 years ago.


I'm not sure why I feel you should hold back on Facebook, Twitter or other Social Media sites. I obviously do not have a problem speaking my mind or telling people about my life on a blog or reading about others lives via a blog.


With blogs, I am expecting a certain amount of personal things. But, if I ever found a blog that put to much information out there I probably would just not read it. With a blog you can read what you want when you want and comment or not. With social media you will potentially be hurting a "friend" if you unfriend them and they figure out you did so. Some people take it very seriously so I try not to unfriend people very often. I have unfriended people by accident but that was more when I was just getting started several years ago. Other than the things I pointed out here I'm not sure why I feel the way I do.

What are your thoughts? Are you on any social media sites? Do you update your status frequently and comment on others statuses? Do you ever feel people put to much information on social media sites or blogs? To be honest I thought my dentist blog was too much information. But, I was too looped out to care. I most likely shouldn't have posted anything. I just know when I go to a blogger's site I enjoy having something new to read.  Even i that something isn't very long and a little more then I bargained for.  Please take a moment and let me know how you feel. 

Have a happy Friday!  I know I'm going to.  Blake came in town Thursday night and will be going back to Oklahoma on Sunday.

Jackie






No comments: