Friday, November 18, 2011

Memories of Mom

My mom passed away on November 18, 2007.  To say we were surprised would be an understatement. Dad has been the one that has been sick since he was a new born baby.

In some ways it seems like mom just passed away in others it feels like she has been gone for a while. I still on occasion will want to pick up the phone and call her about something and then remember I can't. That was probably the hardest part after she first passed away.  We would talk quite often. Some weeks everyday.  So to go from talking to her several times a week to nothing was hard.

My mom was the person I would call if I ever needed to know where something was in the bible I was looking for.  I could tell her the gist of what the Scripture was and she would be able to find it in a flash.  I can still do that with google but, then there is no enter action or conversation about the scripture or how I even came to be looking for it.

Mom loved to go to garage sales. She could find name brand clothes with the tag still on and get them for a dollar or less. I never had the patience to go.  I would suck it up on occasion and go with her but, I don't care for shopping of any kind as a rule. Mom loved it. As many clothes as mom had she would give a way.  It was a constant cycle.  She was always giving something away.  You knew if you bought her something you would have to try and not get your feelings hurt if she gave it to someone.  If she felt they needed it more than she did or even if they admired something she would most likely give it to you.  She just had a very giving heart.

Mom had been in pain for years.  I often wondered if  she had fibromyalgia or some kind of sensitive nerves.  The poor girl was allergic to 90% of medications.  Heck, she was even allergic to band aids.

Mom was worn out before she passed.  She and dad were living behind an elderly couples home.  It was known as the cottage house.  The husband of the elderly couple was diagnosed with cancer and didn't have long to live.  His wife fell and broke her hip right after they found out.  So my mom was working around the clock. She didn't have time to make it to church while she was careing for them.  The elderly couple finally told mom she needed a break.  Mom was so excited because she was going to get to go to church.  The husband told us later she was glowing. 

Mom and dad get to the church and they have the praise and worship service, the sermon and then more music at the end.  My mom hand gone to the ground but my dad didn't really think much about it because she has prayed this way many times out of reverence to our Lord.  It was only when the service was over did he realize something was truly wrong.  They got the ambulance to the church and they were going to get her to the care flight team. But she was gone before they could get her to the helicopter.  She was taken to the place my sister was born.

When I got the call I was cleaning the Dr.'s office.  It was my weekend job.  I had a full time job during the week. I was told that she was rushed to the hospital.  They didn't tell me she had passed at that point. I get home and pack the most random stuff you could think of.  I live 3 hours away so there was a lot of time to sit and thing and wonder.  I call to check on mom and figured out she passed away. I felt like I had been kicked in the gut.  I instantly got sick to my stomach and had to have my husband pull over.  The rest of that time was a blur.

I do pretty good most of the time.  But for the last several weeks I have felt like just sobbing and I couldn't figure out why.  Then it hit me.  I was missing my mom.  The upside is my dad has Dr. appointments today in Temple so we will get to be with my sister.  I will write all about the trip next week.  Until then I hope you have a nice weekend.

Jackie

1 comment:

Nolita said...

It sounds like your mom was a wonderful woman and what a great thing to leave this Earth during a church service while praying. Couldn't have timed that better...That is so great that you had such a tight relationship with her. What a blessing.

I'm sad for the ones she left behind but she instilled a LOT of great values in her daughter for sure. I've been feeling similar to you too and it feels like overmuch, overfull or over emotional. Fall, time change, holidays, reminiscing all contribute I think.

Have a great weekend, lady!
;.)
Nols