Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's Getting Closer to Thanksgiving

As it gets closer to Thanksgiving my heart hurts more and more. I am missing my mom, brother and my grandparents as well as other family members that have passed away on my side and on Michael’s side. As you grow older life happens and things change. It would be awesome if the good things stayed the same. I guess that just isn't realistic.


I miss my granny Yoho's stuffing. That is my favorite food.  For desert it is Pecan Pie.   I miss all of our aunts, mom, granny and my sister and I getting in the kitchen and cooking.  Getting ready for the madness that was about to take place. Talking, laughing and working. We were exhausted by the day’s end but, it was so much fun just being around everyone. After we ate the girls would be in the "fancy room" and the guys would be in the den. It was a privilege for us kids to get to go in the fancy room. It was granny's formal living room and formal dining room.

When we were little my brother, sister and I would watch my uncle Danny make out with his girl friend in the fancy room. We would tease him after she left. Our Aunts and Uncles on my mom's side were more like siblings. The twins, who were the youngest of my mom's siblings, were only 8 when my brother was born and 11 when I was born.


I've been fine for years just having our little family or 3 doing our own thing on Thanksgiving Day. We would normally go down to visit both sides of the family for Thanksgiving at some point.  It just depended on everyone's schedule.   For some reason it's hitting hard this year with all the people missing in our lives. Both of Michael’s parents are gone. All of his grandparents are gone. The only grandparent we have left is my Granny Howard. She is in her 90's. With dad so sick and her not doing that great we don't get to see her. I called and asked my Uncle Leon if Granny would be able to Skype and he didn't think it would work. Granny Howard has been def since she was two. She had hearing aids for years. Then she could only hear out of her left ear. From what Uncle Leon said she is just able to read lips. This makes me sad. I wish we could go down to see everyone but, that just isn't possible with dad living with us.


I keep trying to think of all of the things I am thankful for like, dad still being alive for another holiday season, Blake being home for a week and shortly for a month, having a loving husband and wonderful home, and having a fantastic job with increasable bosses.

Maybe with us putting up the Christmas tree it will put me in a better place.  How can you listen to Christmas music and not get in the Christmas spirit?


Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Jackie

P.S. Be sure to let me know what you are thankful for this year.


1 comment:

Nolita said...

I am thankful for so much I can't begin to list, but I will say that I am really thankful for new friends like you! Hope you get the Holiday Spirit soon. It is good to think about the ones that have passed... but then get back to the ones who are still with us! Happy Thanksgiving!