Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Missing Myra

Do you ever have one of those days where you start thinking of an old friend and missing all of the fun things you did when you were young?  Well today is one of those for me.  I would love to go back for a week and visit with one of my best friends since childhood Myra. days

Myra's mom and my mom were best friends since high school. Sandy's entire family knew my mom's entire family.  I didn't get to meet Myra until we were in 6th grade.  We were instant friends. Before we moved back to Copperas Cove I would go and spend weeks at a time with Myra and her mom.  They lived right next door to Myra's grandma and grandpa. 





I got to go on a couple of family trips to Arkansas and it was a blast!  One year we saw a guy that looked exactly like the guy in the Shasta commercial.  He had the most beautiful blue eyes you have ever seen.  Or from what I remember anyway.  That was many years ago.  I think I was 14 at the time.

I can remember laying in front of the TV eating roman noodles. Or dancing to Hey Mickey or the sound track from Footloose.  We would go on walks with our moms.  But, before we got started we always had to stop at 7/11 to get snacks and a big gulp.  Now that I think about it, that kind of defeated the purpose.  We would tease our mom's for being nosy Nell's because as we walked by houses they would try to peak into every house.  We all had so much fun laughing and cutting up.  We would tease the moms for going so slow.  One time when we got back from our walk my mom had a snail on her leg!  Now THAT is slow.  Oh my goodness she never did live that down.

Myra was an only child. I was the youngest of 3. I only had one child.  Myra ended up with 3.  We both have boys. Myra is 11 days younger then me.  My birthday is 2/2/71, Myra's birthday is 2/13/71.  Don't think she hasn't held that over my head all of these years. ha ha



Myra lives in Kansas.  I have not really gotten to visit her in years.  It has been several years since I have gotten to see her.  When she comes to Texas she is heading to Copperas Cove.  That is three hours from where I live.  She just came for a visit and we had talked about getting together at one point.  It just never worked out.  Maybe I should plan a trip up to visit her and her boys.  The very first quilt I ever made was for her oldest son.  That's been a few years.





I used the machine to sew everything except the actual quilting part.  I hand quilted every square. I didn't do anything fancy.  I was pleased how it turned out.

I wish I had some photo's of us growing up.  They are somewhere in my closet or in Belton stuck in storage.

I guess it's time to get back to reality. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Jackie


No comments: