Monday, April 17, 2017

Dog Treats Made with Love

We had a busy Saturday.  We went up to Pet Smart to get Cali more dog food. Then we ran all over the place trying to find an air tight container that wouldn't break the bank.  After about the 5th place we gave up and just bought a container that said it would hold 30 pounds. Which was what we had purchased.  It didn't fit all of the food.  Oh well, we tried. Then we had to go to the grocery store to get a few things.  I wanted to go so I could get the rest of the ingredients for the treats I wanted to make for Cali.  The upside was we  walked almost 2 miles.

I have been looking at home made healthy dog treats since before Maverick passed. I found the perfect recipe on Pinterest. I was redirected to a blog called eating bird food.  The name of the recipe is Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats. There are only 4 ingredients.

Author: Brittany Mullins Serves: 120 mini bones Ingredients
  • I used a rather large heart cut out because that is all I had and I was able to make a little over a dozen

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour ( you can use the all purpose flour but, whole weat flour is a healthier choice.  I got a 5 pount bag for about $2.34)
  • ½ cup creamy peanut butter
  • ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce or mashed banana (I used banana)
  • ¼ cup vegetable, chicken or beef stock (I used chicken broth)
  • bone shaped cookie cutter (I used a heart shape cookie cutter)

Instructions:



  1. Preheat oven to 350°.

  1. Combine flour, peanut butter and apple sauce (or banana) in a large mixing bowl. Add stock and stir until well-combined. The dough will be thick. Once combined use your hands to press the dough into a ball. Place dough ball on a flat service (with a sprinkle of flour if needed) and roll out evenly with a rolling pin. Dough should be about ¼ inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into desired shape and place on ungreased baking sheet.

  2. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. I baked the heart shaped treats for 20 minutes and they came out perfect.  Store in an airtight container.


Cali seems to really enjoy them.  Early this morning my husband asked her if she wanted a treat and she put her paws on the counter.  She was so excited and knew right were we keep them.


I have ordered  a set of 4 cookie cutters.  The cookie cutter set comes with a bone, dog house, a paw and a fire hydrant.  I also ordered a silicone tray for cold treats for this summer.  I will post the information on here when I make the cold treats.  I love to bake.  Right now we are all trying to lose weight so baking is out for the humans.  I am so happy I can at least bake for Cali.  Even better, I know exactly was is going into her treats and that makes me feel good.

I can't wait to make more treats for my girl.  I hope she likes them as much as she likes this batch!

I hope you had a blessed Easter!

Jackie

No comments: